Monday, March 21, 2011

Non-Candy Gifts for Easter Baskets


I am a chocaholic. Wait, let's be honest. I'm a candyholic. As I approach my 40th year, my love for anything sweet seems to have intensified. Except for black jellybeans and black licorice, I have never met a piece of candy I did not enjoy down to the last bite.

The trouble is that my penchant for sweet treats has not been kind to my waistline or my dentine. And as a mom of 3 little kids who seem to have inherited my taste buds (especially my daughter), I need to keep the quantity of candy in my house to a minimum.

But, alas, it's Easter and the colorful treats beckon wherever I shop. Every year, despite my best intentions to limit the candy, my children are tickled to find heaps of candy overflowing their baskets. That in and of itself is not a big deal.

It's the onslaught of candy that continues the rest of Easter day. First the grandparents from both sides arrive bearing baskets. And next, there's the big neighborhood Easter egg hunt. By the end of the day, we could open an Easter candy boutique!

If you, too, want to limit the candy consumption on Easter day, here are some of my best non-candy gifts for Easter! (Maybe I'll even take my own advice for once....)

(1) Do not substitute JUNKY toys that you will just throw away in a day. That is a complete waste of money. Just had to get that one out of the way. We've all done it!

(2) Do stock up on plastic eggs that you can reuse year after year. Sure, they're great for jellybeans, but get creative about other treasures to put inside. Hint: A dollar bill can put a big smile on a child's face and help them save toward a more valuable purchase later.

(3) Do not turn Easter into a mini version of Christmas. Sometimes parents feel guilty about limiting candy, so we substitute more lavish presents on our children to compensate. I don't think you need me to list the reasons why this is a bad idea. I've done it and paid the consequences. Keep the bar low and your kids will learn to appreciate their Peeps.

(4) Do put in a bunny. If your kid likes chocolate, go to town and find the biggest, most embellished hare on the shelf. There is nothing better than munching on a big bunny ear or the sickly-sweet candied facial features.

(5) Do not be afraid to toss in a great Easter book. In fact, make it a tradition to include a new book about the holiday every year with a note from the Easter bunny inside. Here are some great non-candy Easter gifts ...books from The Lollipop Book Club!

(6) Do read this article about other fantastic Easter gifts for kids! It is full of ideas on how to make your child's holiday extra special this year.

1 comment:

  1. Lorin sent me here to view all your books. what a great selection. More people should consider starting a child's library by giving books at the baby shower.

    ReplyDelete

 

By TwitterButtons.com